Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Did You Know There's a War Going On?

I've tried to stay abreast and stay quiet at the same time. This is VERY HARD for me to do (I chose caps there to give the impression of speaking loudly). I like to throw my opinions around like cluster bombs, hitting targets intended and unintended with equal lack of precision. Often my statements just kind of sit there and get confused with aid packets. Other times they explode on their target as intended. Often I take a bad metaphor and run with it miles past the finish line, like some sort of Forrest Gump playing simile football.

Well, now that I've got that load out of my pants, I think I started by saying it's hard not to talk about the war. Yesterday I was speaking with a friend and asked if the Sand and Thunder Storms was a sign God was against the US Invasion. He pointed out that it may mean Allah is against the invasion. I responded that Bush assures us Jesus is on our side. Which, I commented, must mean the Holy Ghost is the swing vote, undecided as to whom to back. This was funny at the time. I don't think it looks funny in print though. My bad.

Seriously, more and more talk is of the Apocalyptic implications of the Invasion (I really can't see any valid justification, and Invasion is much less namby-pamby than "War of Aggression") of Iraq. There are reports coming at us that "The Arab Street" (another nice misnomer there) is describing this as the second step in the War on Islam. I don't remember the same anger, rhetoric and vitriol aimed at the US in Afghanistan. I don't remember being cast as a nation on a Crusade. Words like Crusade don't get thrown around every time someone goes after a dictator. On the national Fox stations, after Resident Bush's speech declaring:
"48 hours, you meglomaniacal, dictatorial, self-appointed leader. God, I love myself. I say such kind things about me! Feels good! Let's roll! Oh, are we broadcasting? Um, we (the pennyroyal we) hope (not) that Saddam leaves before my two day love-fest ends. if not, we (me and Dick and Rummy and the people they hired), are going to bring hell upon the Earth in and around the vicinity of Iraq and other "I" countries (that means you, Syria) in the Middle East . I prey - I mean pray - upon the Lord to do as I ask and not listen to that stupid Polish Pope representative of God on Earth guy. 48 hours Saddam. That's three days before I strike"
these stations showed the Ahnold movie End of Days. Coincidence? Not likely.

Well, I got more, but no more time. Got to get ready for work and all. If you can't tell though, this War thing has me all worked up with no where to go. AARGH!