Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Stand Up and Be Accountable

The Resident has finally admitted what we knew all along: "I am one dumb motherfucker." Well, that would have been nice, but he did say something that surprised me today:
Q: Mr. President, you often speak about the need for accountability in many areas. I wonder then, why is Dr. Condoleezza Rice not being held accountable for the statement that your own White House has acknowledged was a mistake in your State of the Union address regarding Iraq's attempts to purchase uranium? And also, do you take personal responsibility for that inaccuracy?

THE PRESIDENT: I take personal responsibility for everything I say, of course. Absolutely. I also take responsibility for making decisions on war and peace. And I analyzed a thorough body of intelligence -- good, solid, sound intelligence -- that led me to come to the conclusion that it was necessary to remove Saddam Hussein from power.

[...] Dr. Condoleezza Rice is an honest, fabulous person. And America is lucky to have her service. Period.

(for the record, above quotes are from the White House website)


Now, of course, you expect me to pick this apart. So, here it comes:

1) If this were a fair and balanced Government, the Congress would be drafting Articles of Impeachment. The Resident today accepted full, personal responsibility for lying to the American people and to Congress. Lying to Congress is a felony. However, it ain't gonna happen. Because, according to the Rethuglicans, lying about what you use as a humidor is more felonious than giving false pretenses for sending American troops to war.

2) We now know that Condoleezza Rice is "fabulous." This is the most important thing to look for in a National Security Advisor. If she wasn't "fabulous," why, Resident Bush would, "Just DIE." I look forward to the next appearance of the "Simply Marvelous" Donald Rumsfeld and "That Bitch" Dick Cheney.

I must now apologize for that second point there. It was wrong of me, but I couldn't help myself. No one calls me "fabulous."