Saturday, August 09, 2003

Krista & I

Now, Krista and I have lived down here in Maine near three years. No, I'm sorry there, we been here just over them three years I mentioned earlier. As you may know, I was born and raised here in New England, though not here in Maine in particular, mind you, but that there is another story. No, I am definitely from Northern stock, and my native desire to return to these parts was not entirely unexpected. What was, however, unexpected, was that Krista, that being my wife, who is most definitely not from these parts, would also, after being here a while now, come to appreciate and understand it's appeal.

Yet, I must say, there are certain parts of being a Yankee that Krista just wasn't ready for. Now, for example, let's talk about the weather. Talking about the weather is more than a habit down here. Why, if you don't talk about the weather, you just don't have a way to place today amongst all them other days. Today is always hotter, or maybe a little breezier, cooler or cloudier than some other, that other day being yesterday, last week, last year, or back in '78. There are even some people you might call seers, who have the ability to compare the weather to possible future weather. Most of these people either have a Farmer's Almanac handy, or have seen the latest forecast of Dave Santoro. Now, if you don't know Dave, why then you must not be from around these parts. That Dave Santoro, why, he's a wicked good forecaster. It must be all them computers and radars.

While now, as I was saying, Krista just wasn't prepared for Winter, being raised in the Nation's Capital and all. But I must say, she took to shoveling like it was the natural state of things. I made sure she got a good jacket from L.L. Bean to get her through, and the one she picked makes her look like a little Eskimo, according to my Dad. She's made it through a good snowy Winter and a bitter cold one, so now we're just waiting for a bitter cold and snowy Winter to say she's "Gone native."

So, she was saying to me just the other day, she said, "Erik, I think I really like it here and, you know, this could be a place we could call home." Now, I was thinking along the same lines, but hadn't wanted to say anything, because moving down here was my idea and I didn't want to be forcing the issue. However, when she says to me, "I think I want to settle down here," why, I was quick to say that I had been having thoughts of a similar nature. So, now that it's all out in the open, we have been spending some time looking around at where exactly we might want to be. I think, if we take our time with the looking, why, we should find a place that's just right.

Though, thinking about settling in, you know, putting down some roots, made me realize that there was something about Maine she just didn't know about. So, with a bit of searching and a little head scratching, there being nothing more natural than a little scratching or tugging at the beard when doing some puzzling out of things, I found the best way to introduce Krista to another side of Maine. I stopped down at the Library, it being open late on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I got a CD for her to listen to. Now, last night it was raining, maybe not as hard as it had earlier in the week, and nowhere near as heavy a rain as was coming down this morning, but it was a steady kind of summer rain, and Krista and I didn't have any set plans. Understand, it's not that the rain interrupted plans, just that there were certain things we just were not going to be doing in the rain, which ended up being just fine. Fine, in particular, in that it allowed me to share something kind of special to Maine, though, I must say, appreciated by other Northern New Englanders.

Yes, I admit, we sat down and listened to Bert & I.