Thursday, August 21, 2003

Ten for Today

As I write I always listen to music. Today, my muse was quiet (eh? Can't quite hear you - oh, fuck it), so I decided to write "live on hard drive" impressions and feelings of the first ten songs to randomly play from my iTunes library (at this writing, it's 7157 songs, so I really have no idea what will come of this). So, without further ado (I like ado. It heightens the anticipation. Or maybe it just drags things out, like all the ado I am adding to this intro):


Little Bombadier

Oompa Bowie, wonderfully silly and woefully simplistic - the story is very Snoopy and the Red Baron, if Snoopy was a mix between Puff the Magic Dragon and a child molester. It's strange to hear David sing, "Were they just a game?", knowing the way he has played with the public for thirty-odd years.

Jive Talking

In my mind, perhaps one of the few absolutely perfect songs. From a bubbly bass line, a bucka-wucka-wow guitar riff, the always note perfect Barry and the harmony of the brothers' Gibb. Great verses, chorus, keyboard bridge - it is an actual pleasure to hear, a smile impossible to resist. And, cowbells. I love this period of the Bee Gee's music - the pre-disco cusp made of real rock dance songs.

End Of The Line

I miss George Harrison. I never gave him his propers while he was with us (not that he would know), and I've neglected his music to my own detriment. I always felt that Tom Petty benefited the most from the Wilbury's - he seems to lighten up, and not take himself so seriously. He sounds like playing with this guys is fun. Is it me or does Janet Reno look kind of like Roy Orbison? it's those weird jowels on a square head, I think. Why is this out of print? I wish the record companies weren't such fucks.

Electrify

Not a favorite Beastie Boys song - good base sample to form a song around -synthesized organ vamps - however, they keep cutting it short with scratching or other samples. it keeps the song from taking off. I think "Hello Nasty" is a better album now than when it was released - I'm more likely to listen to large chunks (though it's too long) instead of single tracks.

Frankie

The Anthology of Folk Music is the most important CD reissue, period. The cleaning of the tracks allow you to hear the subtleties a bit better, and the exhaustive liner notes (as all Smithsonian sets have) are a true treasure trove. Mississippi John Hurt has such a great voice - though I'm more partial to "Spike Driver Blues", due to my long love of John Henry and American folk tales. America needs it's own mythology - Henry and Pecos Bill and Bunyan aren't enough - we need real myths and legends, a real connection. We're too disposable, and it is to easy to forget the roots...

Oh My God

Is there anyone not looking forward to new Tribe recordings? We need the spirit of Tip and Phife as much as ever - someone needs to kick this played-out gangsta shit to the curb. Best Busta Rhymes sample ever? (hell, the Tribe make Busta's sample into one of his best performances. Is there a more powerful voice than Busta who has done so little with it?)

Maquiladora

Lesser known Radiohead is generally so for a reason. This is not particularly memorable. Though, really, lesser Radiohead is still better than "Alternative" radio in general. It's such a simple song, and kind of a throwaway, and yet, eminently listenable. Does it matter what they do? Is everything after Pablo Honey pretty much a solid piece of work? Why do I only ask, and ask, and ask, and never answer? Because, that makes me seem questioning, mysterious and thoughtful. And it's a great copout.

Bold As Love

Jimi and his turquoise armies assert their dominance. I like hearing Jimi sing as much as play guitar. He sings trancelike and paced to his own internal beat, like a great jazzman, playing around, exploring and divining, then circling back to try another foray from familiar ground. Just ask the Axis...
Plus, one of the best coda's ever.

Indian War Whoop

John Hartford's revamp of the classic by Hoyt Ming and His Pep-Steppers. The Oh, Brother soundtrack is wonderful at distilling all the creepiness from the classic twenties and thirties performances...

Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out

The Replacements, the best American band. Period. Angry, snotty, melodic, sloppy and often poignant. The 'Mats are eminently American, only possible when Kiss and Alex Chilton, the Stones and Skynyrd are all acceptable influences. In the heart of Pop Music you find Paul Westerberg, drinking whiskey then laying it down on the empty bottle, and you smile.